We intend to discuss the future of legislation and initiatives that are key to US science and tech firms interest in cultivating a pipeline of well-trained and motivated US workers.
Specific discussion topics include the COMPETES Act Reauthorization, NSF Funding, STEM in Higher Education, Elementary and Secondary Education Act/No Child Left Behind reforms, and Race to the Top/Common Core standards.
POTENTIAL CONGRESSIONAL HOSTS
- House Education and the Workforce Committee Chairman John Kline (R-MN)
- House Education and the Workforce Committee Member Bobby Scott (D-VA)
- House Education and the Workforce Committee Member Ruben Hinojosa (D-TX)
- House Energy & Commerce Committee Member G.K. Butterfield (D-NC)
- Rep. G. K. Butterfield (D-NC), Senior Member of the House Energy and Commerce Committee and incoming Chairman of the Congressional Black Caucus
- Rep. Ruben Hinojosa (D-TX), Ranking Member of the Higher Education and Workforce Training Subcommittee and Chairman of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus
- Emily Slack, Postsecondary STEM education Advisor to the Chairman of the House Committee on Education & the Workforce
- Dr. Gary Harris, Ph.D., Howard University Associate Provost
- Angela McGlowan, Political Analyst for Fox News Channel and the Fox Business Network
- Dr. Patricia Pierce Ramsey, Ph.D. , Chair of the Bowie State University Department of Natural Sciences
- Chanelle Hardy, Senior Vice President for Policy and Executive Director, National Urban League
- Dr. Nicol Turner-Lee, Ph.D., STEM4US! Chairwoman
- Talib I. Karim, Esq. – STEM4US! Executive Director
STEM4US! BACKGROUND: STEM4US! is a non-profit organization formed to provide parents, teachers, and advocates with the tools to excite and prepare young people for careers in technology, energy, and other STEM fields. We achieve this through several national and DC-based initiatives including the Capitol Hill STEM Power Lunch ™ Series, the organization’s signature event. These bimonthly high-level policy conversations provide a platform to examine ways to boost American innovation with a particular emphasis on removing barriers for women, African American, and Hispanic innovators.
Annual CBC Week Tech & STEM Festival
Recently, STEM4US!, held the historic First Annual CBC Week Tech & STEM Festival. Our festival featured Congressman Bobby Scott (D-VA) + David Owens, Executive Vice President of the Edison Electric Institute (the trade group for the nation’s power utilities) + Montgomery County Councilmember Cherri Branson (D) + the chief civil rights advisor to the Prince Georges County Executive + FCC and Department of Energy chief diversity officers + reps from GMU’s Mason Game & Technology Academy + a venture capitalist from SCI Ventures + 200 other innovators and STEM leaders.
STEM4US! was also featured in a Washington Post article that can be found at. More info can be found at www.stem4us.org or by calling Talib I. Karim, Esq., STEM4US! Executive Director at 202-508-3391.